Blogging has become a wonderful medium to express your thoughts on a variety of topics and take them to the international audience with the click of a button. The fact that everyone wants to write but not everyone is able to write on a consistent basis makes it quite difficult to project the number of active blogs that exist today on the World Wide Web. If you’re still keen, here’s a dynamic counter available on WorldOMeters to give us some sense of the large number of blogs being written on a daily basis.
Now that you have decided to fuel your passion for writing and join the blogging bandwagon, it is important that you keep the following tips in mind to make the most out of your blogging experience.
10 Golden Tips for New Bloggers
The Ideation Stage
- Topic Selection – Setting up a visually appealing blogging website using popular DIY platforms such as WordPress is half the battle won. Now you have to apply your mind to the kind of topics that you will be writing on. No matter which topic you pick, there would be an avalanche of blog submissions already on that subject. Remember that there are always other ways to look at the world. Try and stand out! Retain your individuality and uniqueness.
- Have You Planned your Keywords? – From a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) perspective, it really helps to plan your keywords well in advance, before writing on any subject. Take the help of popular tools “Google Trends” to see the kind of topics that are trending online and “Keyword Planner” by Google AdWords to find relevant keywords.
- Frequency of Posts – How many blog posts are too many in a week and how many are too few? Whether you are a budding or an expert blogger, there are different schools of thoughts on this issue. A “publishing volume experiment” on the Moz blog makes for an interesting read.
The Writing Stage
- Throw in a Catchy Headline – A catchy headline will help grab interest, especially for those readers who are skimming content teasers on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP).
- Quality Content – Remember, if “Content is the King,” quality is the jewel in the King’s crown. You must aim to write original content and be wary of plagiarism. Establish credibility by citing credible sources wherever you are using facts & figures.
- Visual Content – A giant wall of text is not a good idea from the readability perspective. Introducing a mix of visually appealing content, such as images, videos and infographics, is always preferred.
- Proofread – Once your content is ready, make sure you invest time in reading it again to eliminate the possibility of casual mistakes, such as typographical errors.
The Marketing Stage
- Content Marketing – The blog posts that you have published should also be marketed on various platforms. To know why you need content marketing and understanding the process, here is an interesting infographic.
- Build and Retain your Audience – Learn the basics of SEO, such as on-page and off-page optimization, to build and retain an audience on your blogging website.
- Use Analytics to Track ROI – Setup an account on Google Analytics and integrate it with your blog to measure the effectiveness of your content and get in-depth insights on your published content.
Remember, a false start to the blogging journey is often one of the main reasons why people quickly lose interest in blogging. By investing your time and effort on incorporating these tips, you can quite easily create a winning blog and stay forever committed to blogging.