Responsive Design for websites: Google Guidelines
Mobile web users are growing exponentially. Today, visits from tablet and mobile devices are at an all time high and its become important as ever to ensure your website content being available to mobile devices.
The trend is towards responsive design, where the same website content is styled or reformatted in such a way that it caters to mobile devices as well. An important part in responsive design is to find that magical design that looks good on all screens and devices without creating any user experience problems.
Google has come up with some guidelines and directions in responsive design for web via this blog post.
It speaks about:
- Pages being able to render legibly at any screen resolution
- Mark up being versatile, where one set of content, is made viewable on any device
- Never allowing the horizontal scrollbar.
responsive design guidelines & tutorials I found elsewhere.
Here are some amazing responsive design guidelines and tutorials I found interesting.
1. Responsive Web Design Guidelines: Smashing Magazine
2. What is Responsive Design : Smashing Magazine
3. Examples of Responsive Design: Design Modo
4. More examples of Creative Responsive Design : Inspiration Feed
5. Responsive Design WordPress Themes : Design Woop
6. How to create Responsive Design : Ultimate Guide, Design Shock
WordPress Theme Plugins to make Responsive Design
1. Make Videos fit Responsive Design in WordPress : FitVids
This plugin makes videos responsive using the FitVids jQuery plugin on WordPress. The options page is located on the dashboard menu under Appearance as "FitVids". From there you can add your selector and turn jQuery on and off.
2. Make Twenty Ten WordPress Theme Responsive : Responsive Twenty Ten
Makes your TwentyTen themed site have a responsive and fluid layout. Making it ideal for for viewing across a whole range of devices and screen sizes (i.e iPhones, Android, iPads). Uses CSS and media queries to enable the fluidity and responsiveness.